[Zope-dev] Crash & Burn with Zope 2.6.0a1 and ZEO 2.0a1

Andrew Sydelko andrew@sydelko.org
Tue, 18 Jun 2002 20:28:44 -0500

On Tue, 18 Jun 2002 12:19:19 -0400 "Jeremy Hylton" <jeremy@zope.com> wrote:

> It wouldn't surprise me if this is a completely unrelated problem.
> Any chance that the python your using to test doesn't have large file
> support?  Check by importing test.test_largefile.

Yeah, you're right, I don't have largefile support. But I normally don't
need it because it's just a ZEO client. And I've been trying to get python
to compile with largefile support and I can't. I'm using Debian woody (and
no, I don't want to use the installed python2.1 package).

Can someone tell me exactly how to compile python 2.1.3 with LFS support?

> We recently discovered that there's a bad interaction between ZODB and
> Python without large file support running on a platform that supports
> large files.  In this specific configuration, os.path.exists() returns
> false for files >2 GB and ZODB creates a new Data.fs.

Yeah, that's a bad thing. I'm glad this wasn't my only copy (although
it takes 15 minutes to get a new copy since it's so large.)

--andy.