[Zope-dev] More Zope 2.6 requests

Fri, 08 Mar 2002 09:48:15 -0800

+1 on #2 - definitely useful.

Sean

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Washington [mailto:jwashin@vt.edu]
Sent: Friday, March 08, 2002 5:26 AM
To: zope-dev@zope.org
Subject: [Zope-dev] More Zope 2.6 requests

While we are asking, I have two things that I would consider valuable
additions to Zope 2.6:

1.  UserSniffer.  Currently an External Method, but has functionality
that should be available OOTB to assist making those (horrors!)
browser-dependent hacks.  It has other uses, too, like explaining to
clients that their browser is five years old and needs the free upgrade
that is available.

2.  Support for HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR.  Many (most?) of us run zope
behind Apache ProxyPass or Squid, and the Zope logs therefore save the
ip address of the proxying machine rather than any semblance of where
the client browser is.  I realize that other proxies do not always
follow the rules, etc., etc., but I think that using
HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR if not null would be better than a log full of
192.168.1.1.

Apologies if these have already been discussed under another heading.

-- Jim Washington