[Zope-dev] ZPT is young

Thomas Olsen tol@tanghus.dk
Wed, 8 May 2002 15:33:50 +0200

On Wednesday 08 May 2002 14:54, Adrian Hungate wrote:
> Given the strengths of DTML I still maintain that ZPT is no (yet?) a
> complete replacement, and given the comfortable, familiar syntax, I dou=
bt
> that it should ever replace DTML completely, even if most pages are ZPT=
=2E I
> would be very supprised (Not to mention impressed) if by 2.6 ZPT can
> comfortably replace every aspect of DTML without having to employ Pytho=
> scripts, or some arcane incantations.

Isn't that one of the points of using ZPT instead of DTML? You are able t=
o do=20
far too much in DTML; a somewhat peculiar strength of ZPT is that you are=
 not=20
able to do so much, so you'll have to refactor and put functionality in=20
python scripts thus separating content and functionality.

> Don't get me wrong, ZPT is likely to be a very useful supliment to the
> existing Zope tools, but I would no more suggest replacing Python Scrip=
ts,
> than DTML.

DTML is great for style sheets, javascript and such where you cannot use =
ZPT=20
and python scripts would be too ugly to use ;-)

--=20
Regards,
=09Thomas Olsen