[Zope-dev] [OPINIONS SOLICITED] Adding Batch Factory to ZMI "Add" menu OK?

Leonardo Rochael Almeida leo@hiper.com.br
27 May 2002 18:38:58 -0300

Hello Craeg

I particularly prefer the factory aproach. Zope users are already used
to that approach because of the Z Search Interface. I think you
shouldn't need a dummy class just to be able to create such a factory,
but right now I don't know how you'd go about creating a factory without
a class.

As for an ExternalFileFolder, it would be useful if it automatically
created objects when they are added to the respective directory
(automatically as in, it checks for new objects when you look at the
object list (manage_main), or when you try to access a previously
inexistant (sp.) object. Although, because of Data.fs write-on-read
concerns, you might want this automation to be configurable on a folder
by folder basis). An ExternalFolder might also provide a view or tab to
configure default attributes of newly discovered objects. The objects
created this way would obviously be regular ExternalFile objects, and
you could copy/cut and paste them outside of the ExternalFileFolder
object.

Cheers, Leo

--
Ideas don't stay in some minds very long because they don't like
solitary confinement.