[Zope-dev] Re: Zope logic

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Fri, 31 May 2002 09:10:37 +0100

Tim Hoffman wrote:

> However the most problems I have had, are with poorly thought out or
> poorly documented object hierarchies,

You mean "class hierarchies".

> so that it is not obvious or clear
> where and when you should override methods, try "manage_afterClone" some
> time, and I know this isn't an acquisition problem, or overriding some
> of the default behaviour for FTP methods. The lack of documented
> approach is far worse than the enforced acquisition, IMHO ;-)

You'll like Zope3 then. There is no dependency on class hierarchies.
The inheritance hierarchies throughout are either very shallow or
non-existent.

However, none of the power of expressing the affordances of objects is
lost. Instead, this is expressed through the interfaces an object
implements, which can be definied either in your class definitions, or
elsewhere in zcml or in other classes/interfaces.

> If how these things work and how to use them, was well documented,
> then strangeness with acquisition wouldn't be so strange, ie
> it would be documented and you could get your head around it.

There is only so much complexity that I can handle at a time. Often
working on what should be an isolated part of Zope2 exceeds that threshold.

> (I think we will be in a much better position with Zope 3)

:-)

--
Steve Alexander