[Zope-dev] bug in mapply.py?

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Tue, 05 Nov 2002 15:17:14 +0000

> I must admit to not understanding why this should only break over
> xmlrpc and not directly from Zope.  The problem appears to be that my
> method is defined something like:
>
> def method(self, *args, **kw)

mapply doesn't put things into **kw arguments of methods.

I wanted this once for a product in Zope 3, looked deeply into mapply,
and talked to Jim Fulton about it.

IIRC, Jim said that mapply shouldn't put things into **kw arguments
because it isn't at all explicit, and would end up implicitly putting in
a whole bunch of things that you generally wouldn't want in a lot of cases.

Can you make up a simple python module to demonstrate your case, just
using a method, and mapply?

It may be that there's a way to achieve what you want, while still
keeping things reasonably explicit.

--
Steve Alexander