[Zope-dev] Re: What catalog/index to use ...

Andreas Jung Andreas Jung <lists@andreas-jung.com>
Fri, 08 Nov 2002 19:53:18 +0100

--On Freitag, 8. November 2002 19:49 +0100 Joachim Werner
<joe@iuveno-net.de> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Some additional remarks: While making the splitting dependent on the
> locale settings (as done in the old TextIndex) helps with most use cases,
> I'm not sure if that is the right thing to do in the long run. Locale
> settings are good for client software, i.e. if you want to have a program
> behave German for a German user etc.
>
> But a web server might be located in the U.S., but frequented by
> German-speaking and Spanish-speaking users. Or even users from China or
> Japan. In these cases only Unicode will help I think. After all you can
> not have more than one locale at a time. But honestly I still don't
> understand the Unicode thing good enough. My main concern is whether a
> Unicode-enabled site will still work with older browsers and for all
> platforms ...

Please note that former Zope versions already include a  dedicated
unicode-aware
splitter that is already usable with the old TextIndex and maybe with
ZCTextIndex.
TextIndexNG resolves all these issues by doing the complete internal
processing by
converting the data into unicode. Every single processing step only handles
unicode
data.

Most older browsers should be able to handle at least UTF-8 as character
set. This is
sufficient for most cases.

=aj