[Zope-dev] Integrating ZEO with Zope 2.7

Guido van Rossum guido@python.org
Wed, 02 Oct 2002 14:26:55 -0400

We're close to finishing a new version of ZEO, which will be released
as part of the next ZODB3 release (formerly StandaloneZODB).

I think this would be a good opportunity to make ZEO a standard part
of Zope, starting with Zope 2.7.

Advantage for users: if you download Zope, you have everything you
need; you don't have to find and download a separate ZEO or ZODB
release.

Advantage for Zope developers: no need to test and maintain a separate
ZEO release.

There will still be a separate ZODB3 release, which will include ZEO.
We have to do this anyway, for people who want to use ZODB outside
Zope.

Is there anybody who thinks this is a bad idea?

(Full disclosure: Brian & Jim think it's a good idea, as long as we
make sure that the ZEO that goes into the Zope 2.7 release is properly
documented from the sysadmin POV, i.e. how to start/stop/configure.
Of course we'll do this.)