[Zope-dev] 2.6 hang problem

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Thu, 03 Oct 2002 13:46:44 +0100

Toby Dickenson wrote:

>>Yesterday, it appears this site died during a ZCatalog update as the last
>>entry in Z2.log was for the advanced catalog management form. However,
>>there was no entry for the actual re-catalog.
>
> That makes sense - Z2.log entries are made once the method has completed
> (because it needs to include a field for the number of bytes sent back).

Yeah, that's what I thought.

> It looks like it stalled in the middle of that method.

Indeed.

>>Very weirdly, when I went to look at the stupid_log_file, it was totally
>>blank.

I'm still very concerned as to how this managed to happen...

>>2002-10-02T10:41:55 INFO(0) Z2 Closing all open network connections
>
> Zope closed all the network connections in the asyncore map, including the one
> needed by ZEO that caused the traceback below.  There is a fishbowl proposal
> to fix this, titled 'extra clean shutdown' iirc.

So, in effect, this is a bug but nothing to worry about?

>>When I restarted Zope, things appear to have come up fine. The funky new
>>error log object is empty, but I guess it's not a persistent thing...
>
> Its not persistent. You can get it to copy errors to zLOG, which eventally
> targets the stupid log. Do you have that box ticked?

No, I do now though...

My main concern is finding out why it ground to a halt. If this is a bug in 2.6,
it'd be good to get ti fixed before 2.6 final comes out...

cheers,

Chris