[Zope-dev] How can I find out who visited a URL within my Zope Product?

Steve Alexander steve@cat-box.net
Wed, 09 Oct 2002 13:43:36 +0000

> If we send an email to a counterparty to a legal contract with a URL to
> the contract, we know that they saw the contract by observing a
> VisitURL Command with their user ID and the URL of the contract.
> That means they read the email and clicked on the URL we sent
> (or navigated to it through some other means).

Correct.

> My application can then automatically send notifications to others
> based on the execution of the VisitURL Command.
> I can send email to my group saying "So and so has seen the contract"

Incorrect.

> In this particular case, we are writing an invoicing application, so the
> moment
> the client "sees" the invoice this way, the Net-30 clock starts ticking....

This shows that they read the original email, and intended to view the
contract at the URL. However, after that point, we only know that Zope
attempted to send the page at the URL back to the browser. You have no
proof that such data was ever received by the browser in any way
meaningful to the end-user. This gets even more complicated when http
proxies are involved.

--
Steve Alexander