[Zope-dev] Idea: Awaking Zope to Life

Ulrich Eck ueck@net-labs.de
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 17:44:45 +0200

Hi there,

I just had an Idea and want to hear your comments on the following:

Zope is a Request-Based System. It has no internal scheduling functions
except one installs Xron.

I have written a MicroThread Scheduler using python2.2 generators
that supply cooperative Multithreading.

Now the point:

I want to integrate this Scheduler as one Thread (like Xron)
to Zope as "Service" where clients could register a callback
with parameters which are called regularly with a certain priority.

Zope's Persistent Object Database would morph to an completely
persistent Program that handles requests too.

One could use it to implement better Workflow capabilities,
or an Event Sytem (a client would register a Thread that
checks for incoming messages and handles them). Many more things
could be done ..

What are the pitfalls i can run into, when trying to implement this ??
I could think of concurrency issues, problem with threads, context,
security .. any concrete hints ??

What do you think about that ??

Ulrich Eck
net-labs Systemhaus GmbH