[Zope-dev] What builds zlib.so?

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Fri, 20 Sep 2002 09:02:30 +0100

Dieter Maurer wrote:
> Chris Withers writes:
>  > I'm trying to compile and use a checkout of the Zope-2_6-branch.
>  >
>  > I'm compiling it using:
>  >
>  > usr/local/bin/python2.1 setup.py build_ext -i
> What happens when you use
>
>    usr/local/bin/python2.1 setup.py build

Actualy, Magnus pointed out to me on IRC what zlib.so is no longer built by
Zope, it needs have been built when you build Python.

The machine in question was a Debian box with a source-built Python 2.1.3 on it.
The problem is that Debian doesn't install the zlib-dev package by default,
which Python needs to find during compilation to build zlib.so.

So, zlib-dev installed and Python recompiled, this now works fine.

cheers,

Chris