[Zope-dev] ODBC to the ZODB?

Johan Carlsson [EasyPublisher] johanc@easypublisher.com
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 07:11:05 +0000

At 12:04 2003-04-14 +1000, Richard Jones said:
>On Monday, April 14, 2003, at 11:42 AM, Stephan Richter wrote:
>>On Sunday 13 April 2003 21:32, Richard Jones wrote:
>>>Has anyone done any work or even had any ideas about having ODBC access
>>>to the ZODB? Possibly using gadfly as the SQL engine?
>>>
>>>This would be incredibly powerful to have...
>>
>>I started a long time back something called the ZOQL, which aimed at making
>>relational like queries to the ZODB; however, I found that SQL is not
>>applicable to the ZODB.
>
>Gadfly already provides the relational queries with arbitrary (well,
>organised) data behind it. You write a class that supports gadfly's table
>interface and have any code you like behind it. It's really quite neat :)
>There's just no ODBC interface in front of it ;)
>Richard

Hi Richard,
I think one have to contemplate the use-cases of such an efford.
I agree with Stephan that SQL is not appropriate for accessing data
in the ZODB.

In my opinion a SQL interface would be much more usable with
the ZCatalog, even though there are allot of stuff that are missing in
Catalog for providing most SQL commands it is an appealing thought.

For integration and access of data in the ZODB I think WebServices
would be much easier and in the long run give more.
First thing, off course, would be to provide SOAP capabilities to the
ZPublisher.
Next thing would be to provide WSDL capabilities to Products and ZClasses.
And finally provide an UDDI Service.

That's my 25-cents anyway.

Best Regards,
Johan Carlsson