[Zope-dev] What do we want in the way of Zope binary distributions?

Florent Guillaume fg@nuxeo.com
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 17:25:05 +0200

In article <1050503118.1421.48.camel@james> you write:
> Hi,
>
> With the new Zope 2.7 install and configuration stuff (currently on the
> Zope trunk), ZC needs to redo its mechanisms for Zope binary
> distribution.  Currently, ZC distributes binaries for Win32, Linux, and
> Solaris on Zope.org.  The Linux and Solaris distributions are in the
> form of a tarball containing binaries.  The Win32 distribution contains
> an executable installer generated by WISE.

Ok if you dig into the build process, could you please ensure that all
necessary .so files are built and shipped?
See http://collector.zope.org/Zope/678

> I'd like to propose that ZC drops the "generic" Linux binary distribution
> in favor of an RPM distribution that would be "guaranteed" to run on
> the latest Red Hat release or the one before it, but might also work on
> Mandrake, etc.

Well I like to use "pristine" binary builds from ZC to get reproducible
environment, but having an RPM will mean that it'll only allow me to
install it in one place, so only one Zope instance.

Well ok, I know lots of ways to get what I need (rpm2cpio for one), but
it will complicate my life a bit.

Florent