[Zope-dev] Bobo-Exception-.. can produce rfc non compliant headers in response.

Brian Lloyd brian@zope.com
Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:31:50 -0400

<snip examples of bad bobo-* headers>

> I have more than one problem with these headers:
>
> 1) most important:
> unpredictability of the RFC compliance. not a good thing.
>
> 2) security related:
> they give out way to much information to be confortable with.
> a client doesn't have any business with the absolute path to your
> zope install (Bobo-exception-File)
> and you even get these even when not running with the -D option.
>
> Although not enough info to hack/crack/whatever the machine/server it
> gives a hacker something concrete to work with.
>
> 3) usefulness:
> what do you gain from having these headers anyway?
> you have the error log on server side that contains the same information
> in another form.
>
> Is there still anybody out there who uses this ?
> if not, it's better to throw the whole thing out of the codebase, no ?

This bit of black magic supports the ZPublisher.Client module, which is
an rpc-like mechanism that pre-dates xml-rpc, SOAP, etc. I'm not sure
how to gauge how many people may still use it :(

That said, I think the issues can be fixed without necessarily throwing
it out. I think if we:

  - escape or otherwise make the exception value header-compliant

  - remove the leading path on the exception-file (so you would only
    see 'something.py'

...then that would resolve these (legitimate) concerns.

Thoughts?

Brian Lloyd        brian@zope.com
V.P. Engineering   540.361.1716
Zope Corporation   http://www.zope.com