[Zope-dev] RFC: RelationAware class for relations betweenobjects

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:53:46 -0400

Steve Alexander wrote:

>> Do you agree with these requirements and minimal use cases?  Is there
>> anything I need to clarify?
>

> What about making relationships among pre-existing objects that were not
> designed with relationships in mind?

Ah yes, that is important for Zope, especially Zope 3.  Let me see if I
can invent a use case.  You have a bunch of Job objects in a JobBoard.
As it stands, Jobs have no relationships with Users, but now you want to
relate Jobs to Users.  You want to ask some component for all Users who
have indicated interest in a particular Job.  You also want to ask some
component for all Jobs that are particular User is interested in.  You
want to do this without modifying the code for Job or User, since you do
not have control over either codebase.

Does that use case capture your intent?

Shane