Bare "except" dangerous to ZODB? was Re: [Zope-dev] Accept-Charset hearders causing 500 internal server error.[correct but not lenient]

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 17:54:39 -0500

Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2003 at 03:47:58PM -0500, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>
>>This doesn't seem to be a showstopper for now, but as more applications
>>use ZODB, it could become a bigger problem.
>

> Well, what kind of errors can this cause in the ZODB?
> If it's just a matter of writing a mixture of old and new
> data to the ZODB, that's annoying but I agree it's not a showstopper.
> If it does in fact lead to FileStorage damage, that's another
> story. I'm still feeling touchy about the latter since
> I recently found (and still have not explained) >10k "bad transaction
> length" errors, 700 "invalid transaction length" errors, and 200
> POSKeyErrors in a single FileStorage.

Badly handled conflict errors can result in POSKeyErrors (I think), but
not "bad transaction length" errors.  I think you might be dealing with
a different problem.

Shane