[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] PCGI?

Jeff Rush jrush@taupro.com
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 19:46:35 -0600

I had thought (obviously incorrectly) that mod_proxy was hard to
configure correctly to pass all headers, particularly in complex virtual
hosting scenarios.  But I'm no Apache expert.

And I thought that mod_redirect added overhead to every request, doing
the redirect cycle via the browser.  It also exposed the port 8000-based
Zope to direct access, which some admin's might not want.

But mostly I thought PCGI (and FastCGI) was the preferred way, since it
is covered in detail in Zope's doc/WEBSERVER.TXT and neither mod_proxy
nor mod_redirect are mentioned in there. ;-)

I just figured PCGI was cleaner and let me delegate responsibility to
each hosting client, to manage their own CGI-BIN stuff w/o access to
Apache's config files..

So if we drop PCGI, we'll need an action item to rework that file and
perhaps ZopeBook et. al.

-Jeff