[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] PCGI?

Romain Slootmaekers romain@zzict.com
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 14:24:34 +0100

here's an edited repost from an answer I got from this mailing list.
it has helped me with zope+apache (+ ssl) and is a good start for the
documentation upgrade, (although I personally use the apache proxypass
directives)

-- original help from Leonardo Rochael Almeida <leo@hiper.com.br> --

Here is how you'd do it with VirtualHostMonster and apache:

1. add a single one virtual host monster to your Zope root. Give it any
id you want. You can be creative, 'cause it won't matter :-)

2. In apache, change your configuration to read like below. To
understand why the ProxyPass urls read like that, look at the
VirtualHostMonster object or consult the SiteAccess2 documentation here:
http://www.zope.org/Members/4am/SiteAccess2/info

     ### Apache ###

     # better to use the IP address instead of the name here,
     # to avoid dns lookups on apache initialization
     NameVirtualHost www.greatsite.com

     # better to use the IP address here too, for the same reason
     <VirtualHost www.greatsite.com>
       # here you put the server name instead of the address.
       # it won't result in a dns lookup.
       ServerName www.greatsite.com
       # secure /private
       RedirectMatch permanent ^/private https://www.greatsite.com/private$1
       # the :80 below is NECESSARY. Don't ommit it
       ProxyPass /
http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtualHostBase/http/www.greatsite.com:80/greatsite/VirtualHostRoot/
     </VirtualHost>

     NameVirtualHost www.greatsite.com:443

     <VirtualHost www.greatsite.com:443>
       ServerName www.greatsite.com
       # note the protocol specification after VirtualHostBase. As above,
       # the port specification is not optional
       ProxyPass /
http://127.0.0.1:8080/VirtuaHostBase/https/www.greatsite.com:443/greatsite/VirtualHostRoot/
       SSLEngine on
       SSLCertificateFile /etc/httpd/ssl.crt/server.crt
       SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/httpd/ssl.key/server.key
     </VirtualHost>

EOF

I haven't tested the configuration above. I'd use RewriteRules instead
of RedirectMatch and ProxyPass, but just because that's what I'm used to
doing.

Notice that ProxyPassReverse directives aren't needed, because the
VirtualHostMonster, when presented with the above URLs, effectively
convinces Zope that it's running in the above mentioned ports and
protocols.

No SiteRoot objects are needed.

have fun,

Sloot.

--
"Science can amuse and fascinate us all,
  but it is engineering that changes the world."