[Zope-dev] How can I tell what a Zope Process is doing?

Dieter Maurer dieter@handshake.de
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 23:05:30 +0100

Chris Withers wrote at 2003-2-18 16:04 +0000:
 > I have a Zope instance whose memory usage is ballooning every so often (to 800Mb
 > or so :-S) Now, I can see using top that one Zope process is using a lot of CPU
 > and I'm guessing it's doing some silly iteration that's dragging huge numbers of
 > objects into memory.
 >
 > The problem is that I'm having a pretty hard time figuring out what this process
 > is doing and how I can prevent it. So, does anyone have any idea how I can find out?

When your Zope comes back again (i.e. stops iterating finally),
you can use my ZopeProfiler
  <http://www.dieter.handshake.de/pyprojects/zope>
to learn what is using time (not memory!) in your Zope instance.

 > As a related question, does the line get written to Z2.log before or after
 > serving the request has been completed?

Its written after the request. Only then, the response code and
Content-Length is known.

 > Hmmm, just had another thought. Does ChrisM's 'big m' logging show how much
 > memory was used to serve a particular request?

No, as memory consumption is not attributed to a thread (and
therefore a request).

Dieter