[Zope-dev] Zope and Python compatibility

Casey Duncan casey@zope.com
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 14:46:47 -0500

On Monday 13 January 2003 09:56 am, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> > What would the arguments be for sticking with Zope 2.1.3 for Zope 2.7=
? I
> > feel most people want to use the latest and greatest versions, usuall=
y...
>=20
> Actually, most people don't care about the latest and greatest, and
> would prefer tried and trusted.  Especially if the latest and greatest
> means they have to install more stuff.
>=20
> > Or?
> >=20
> > Of course, if the requirement could be 2.1.3 *or* 2.2.2, that would
> > be nice, but is that realistic?
>=20
> In practice, Zope 2.6(.x) already fulfills this requirement, it's only
> that ZC doesn't have the resources to guarantee it.  I think 2.7 would
> be in the same boat.

FYI, the current CVS head (to be 2.7) now requires 2.2.2 as per an earlie=
r=20
papal edict. So there will be at least some work involved in making it ru=
n=20
under 2.1.3.

I kindof feel like we already made a rather firm commitment to *requiring=
*=20
2.2.x. I did not fully agree with that decision at the time, but to renig=
 on=20
it now seems fairly counterproductive unless someone can provide a really=
=20
good reason.

I personally feel like Zope should run on 2.2.x whether required or not.=20
Requiring 2.2.x does have the advantage of limiting the possible blessed=20
configurations on which Zope will run, thereby making development, suppor=
t=20
and bug fixing that much easier.

Otherwise I can see having to develop on Python 2.1.x and test on 2.1.x a=
nd=20
2.2.x. It would be nice not to have to do this when developing 2.7 only c=
ode.=20
I realize that this would be necessary when backporting things to 2.6.

-Casey