[Zope-dev] Zope and Python compatibility for 2.7: decision

Brian Lloyd brian@zope.com
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 16:22:43 -0500

Hi all -

There has been some discussion lately regarding whether or not
the next Zope feature release (2.7) should require Python 2.2.2
or not. For background, this is something that was already on the
project plan, with the idea being that it would be easier to
backport interesting things from Zope 3 if Zope 2.7 were based on
Python 2.2.

I'd like to make the edict that the plan stands, and 2.7 will be
based on Python 2.2.2. The decision is based on several things:

  - Even though some of the specific backporting efforts that got
    this on the plan in the first place have stalled, it would still be
    nice for backporting to be *possible* to a near-term Zope 2.x release

  - Release cycles never go as quickly as you want them to, and
    historically a couple of second-dot releases a year is a lot :)

    Putting off Python 2.2 support until 2.8 could mean putting it
    off for longer than I think we'd want, especially considering
    the rapid progress Z3 is making. As Z3 continues to mature, I
    expect there will be more desire to backport certain things.

Note that after the work has been done to assess Python 2.2.2 with Zope,
it should be possible to "bless" Python 2.2.2 as a supported platform
for a Zope 2.6.x release as well. This means that:

  - Zope 2.7 would "require" Python 2.2.2 (code can contain 2.2-isms),
    and binary distributions would include it.

  - Zope 2.6.x would support both 2.1.2 and 2.2.2 (but the code would
    contain no 2.2-isms).

Brian Lloyd        brian@zope.com
V.P. Engineering   540.361.1716
Zope Corporation   http://www.zope.com