[Zope-dev] Re: AdaptableStorage

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Wed, 22 Jan 2003 11:58:01 +0000

seb bacon wrote:
>> I'd prefer just to have a method somewhere that, as Shane suggested,
>> could be hit by URL, etc.
>>
>> A whole seperate server seems like overkill...
>
> But what about, for example, databases which don't have an efficient way
> to do callbacks to external applications?  You may have to do a "SELECT
> id FROM tblObjects WHERE timestamp > some_time" or a similar kludge from
> a polling server.  You may want this server to reside at the same
> location as the RDBMS, rather than as a thread in Zope.

Well, if by server you could mean "script that gets run by cron every 1 minute
and hits a URL in Zope if something has changed", then I might be in agreement ;-)

> I'm worrying that if we are not to be restricted to Oracle or bleeding
> edge kernels, the notification part of the cache invalidation scheme may
> be (a) kludgy, (b) inefficient, and (c) utterly different in design
> between different storages.

I think this is as "such is life" problem. Provided AdaptableStorage provides
some way (exposed url?) for an external process to say that things have changed,
I think that's the best form of flexibility we can provide.

cheers,

Chris