[Zope-dev] Re: TALES idea: tuple unpacking

Paul Winkler pw_lists@slinkp.com
Wed, 30 Jul 2003 13:51:58 -0400

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 12:13:41PM -0500, Evan Simpson wrote:
> The explanation isn't that hard, at least for a user with a basic
> knowledge of data structures --

they have a basic knowledge of data structures but they can't be
taught to write a python script in about the same amount of time?

> you usually use key: with a dictionary,
> and item: with a sequence.  The exception is when you have an integer
> key in a dictionary.

That exception does smell a bit funny...
having to say here/some_dict/item:0 just feels odd.
But I can't remember ever using integers as dictionary keys so it's
probably not worth fussing over. :-)

> I hope that the list above makes the consistency clearer.

actually it does help a bit, thanks.
hmm. It's not horrible :-)
I'm just still on the fence about whether we really need it.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com