[Zope-dev] A First Look at Zope3

Chris Gray cpgray@library.uwaterloo.ca
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 12:40:58 -0400 (EDT)

I checked out Zope3 from CVS yesterday and had a go at it for the first
time.  Granted that it is a work in progress, I did have a few comments
from a user's (rather than a developer's) perspective.

The API exposed to DTML and ZPT seems very sparse (compared to Zope2) at
this stage.  Is this the case or am I missing something?  As far as I can
tell there is as yet no way to even get the name of an object for doing
things like the old <dtml-var title_or_id>.  (I have figured out how to
add to the API for any particular class in the source code.)

About the new look to adding objects in a folder -- I see the point of
going to a list of contents with a text input to assign a name (so you can
see what names are already in use), but I see one problems.  The text
input appears at the top of the list and the button to commit the change
is at the bottom of the list.  This will become more inconvenient as a
container's list of contents grows.  Perhaps the buttons should always be
near the text input.

Chris Gray