small summary and big plea was:(Re: [Zope-dev] Versions: should they die?)

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 10:15:42 -0400

Brian Lloyd wrote:
> FYI - we plan for this to be fixed in 2.6.2, preferably by fixing
> the version machinery to require the "join / leave versions"
> permission (which is assigned only to managers by default.

It will be interesting to find out how this can be accomplished.  To use
a version, you have to specify the version at the time of opening the
database.  Before opening the database, the application has no access to
user accounts, let alone security settings.

I really wouldn't mind if we just disabled version support altogether,
with a configuration option to re-enable it.  Perhaps users would
appreciate having less to worry about.

Shane