FHS, zopectl, #925, Re: [Zope-dev] 2.7 installation

Richard Jones richardjones@optushome.com.au
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 17:21:21 +1000

--Boundary-02=_7Xr8+lOx5SojNGQ

On Friday 20 June 2003 04:57 pm, PieterB wrote:
> > On Friday 20 June 2003 01:19 am, Jean Jordaan wrote:
> > > There's only one possible way! A-A-P! (A good match for Ape, Shane ;)
> > > It's a replacement for make by Bram Moolenaar, the author of Vim, and
> > > it looks like it does a lot of things Right.
> >
> > Sorry, I haven't really been paying attention so this might be complete=
ly
> > OT. It *sounds* like it's being suggested that we replace "make" (given
> > the above statement). Has anyone used SCons? http://www.scons.org/
> >     Richard
>
> I think the default Zope install should not have dependencies other
> than that Python is required and the user has some shell system
> (bash/sh/MS batchfiles).

=2E.. and aap apparently ;)

> About Scons: I never heard of it before

It's been around for quite a while. It's based on the winning design for=20
software construction tools (ie. "make" replacement) in the Software=20
Carpentry contest (the website of which has vanished from the web now so=20
you'll have to rely on the info at scons.org). It's certainly been around f=
or=20
longer than aap :)

> but it's not suitable for my
> task. I want to create something that can easily interact with FreeBSD
> ports

=46air enough - as I mentioned, I haven't been paying close attention to th=
e=20
thread. My virtual ears pricked up when mention was made of replacing "make=
"=20
;)

> , and is more stable than 0.14 alpha

I note with a grin that up until this month aap was at release 0.150 :)

    Richard