[Zope-dev] Re: weak examples, weak exploits

Chris McDonough chrism@zope.com
24 Jun 2003 10:18:09 -0400

On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 10:09, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> PieterB wrote:

> >>This seems like a fine idea, but what action would the user take to
> >>install examples and extras?
> >
> > I think the best way would be using a python script/Makefile that
> > installs a .zexp file (or use http-upload with httplib). Configure
> > should grow a --install-tutorial option.
> >

> Mmmm... I need to clarify my question.  Let's say you make and install
> Zope.  You fire it up and don't know what to do next.  You look for some
> button or control in the UI for displaying documentation and examples.
> What do you find?  An entry in the add list?  Will you still find the
> "help" link, but clicking it only tells you how to install the
> documentation?  Zope needs to help the user find the docs.

Jamie Heilman came up with a reasonable way to do this.  The Zope Quick
Start page instructs the user to import the examples and gives him a
link which does so by calling manage_import.

I've merged this into the HEAD and the 2.6 branch.

- C