[Zope-dev] Declaring Dependencies for XML documents (Was: How To Improve Cache Coherency for RAM/Disk Cache Manager...?)

Jamie Heilman jamie@audible.transient.net
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 01:51:12 -0800

Craeg K Strong wrote:
> I hate it when I surf to a less-highly-used portion of a website and
> have to wait 30 seconds for the page to render.

Sure, we all do.

> One possibility is to add the ability to *declare* dependencies.
[snip]
> Such an object could have an explicit listing of the objects on
> which it depends, and invalidate the cache appropriately whenever
> any of the dependent objects changed.

Unfortunately enumerating the dependencies of a document won't help
with the aforementioned first-time-rendering delay.  Prefetching can,
not that I'm advocating it, I offer that only as an observation.

That said I don't think a dependancy based caching strategy is a bad
idea.  It could obviate the need for time-based cache expiration in
some circumstances.  In the long run, it all depends on your usage
patterns as to whether it would pay off or not.

--
Jamie Heilman                   http://audible.transient.net/~jamie/
"Most people wouldn't know music if it came up and bit them on the ass."