[Zope-dev] Proposed installation changes for review

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fred@zope.com
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 01:25:47 -0500

Adrian van den Dries writes:
 > The 'make install' step creates files in the source tree.  It probably
 > shouldn't do this, because if you want to do this as root (sudo make
 > install to install under /usr/local, say), these file are created as
 > root.  This is impolite more than anything else.
 >
 > The build and install targets just call setup.py, so is this a bug in
 > the distutils?

This still essentially does an "in place" build, which is what the
previous Makefile did as well.  Offhand, I'm not sure how difficult it
would be to support both in-place and out-of-place builds; I may be
able to look into it tomorrow.

How important is it to support out-of-place builds?

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation