[Zope-dev] RFC: RelationAware class for relations between objects

Roché Compaan roche@upfrontsystems.co.za
Sun, 4 May 2003 10:13:35 +0200

On Sat, 3 May 2003 12:00:15 -0400 (EDT)
Shane Hathaway <shane@zope.com> wrote:
> ZODB already uses persistent references.  That's what OIDs are for.  But=

> ZODB references are not bidirectional.
>
> > Coming back to the problem statement, shouldn't it be as simple as "The
> > ZODB should be able to persist references?" or did I just take the wrong
> > turn?
>
> I'm afraid you did. :-)  The inverse relationship mentioned in the page
> you linked is talking about adding an integrity constraint, not about
> creating bidirectional references.

I am glad I did - you've explained why so well :-) And you made
relationships in the ZODB sound revolutionary which I think it is,
considering that the OO data model doesn't address it.

--
Roché Compaan
Upfront Systems                 http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za