[Zope-dev] Re: Zope 2.7: OrderSupport for ObjectManager

Yuppie schubbe@web.de
Mon, 05 May 2003 20:41:28 +0200

Hi Stefan!

Thanks for your feedback.

Stefan H. Holek wrote:
> I was initially somewhat uncomfortable with the fact that you have
> changed the ordering API completely. Where has 'move_object_up' gone,
> and where is 'manage_move_object_up'? Is there an upgrade path for code
> using the classic API of OrderedFolder or the OrderedFolderSupportPatch?

I don't know what you mean by the "classic API of OrderedFolder". The
last version of the OrderedFolder product has no 'move_object_up' and no
'manage_move_object_up' method. The OrderedFolderSupportPatch has no
'manage_move_object_up', just a 'move_object_up' method.

We can't provide backwards compatibility to all versions of the ordering
API that exist.

I might change the manage_ methods in OrderSupport so they take the
arguments in the same order as the OrderedFolder product.

> I am however less convinced about the changes you made to the Folder
> class on Friday:
>
> <http://cvs.zope.org/Zope/lib/python/OFS/Folder.py.diff?r1=1.101.66.1&r2=1.
> 101.66.2&only_with_tag=yuppie-ordersupport-branch>
>
> Adding an __init__() method is quite a significant change! Furthermore,
> the way you did it alters the behaviour of the Folder class which is not
> acceptable. If you absolutely want to add a Folder constructor, please
> do it in a b/w compatible way. I suggest you consider the implementation
> proposed here:
> <http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-dev/2002-July/016913.html>

I did that on request of Florent and thought it would be a no-brainer.
<http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope-checkins/2003-April/022598.html>

But apparently I did it wrong. Would it be ok to change it to:

     def __init__(id=None):
         if id is not None:
             self.id = str(id)

Or should I revert that change completely?

> Oh, and the up/down GIFs are hideous. ;-)

You are missing the up/down buttons on the right side?

They were a redundant UI and broke the ZMI UI philosophy:

1. select the items
2. select the action

Cheers,

Yuppie