[Zope-dev] RFC: RelationAware class for relations between obj ects

Shane Hathaway shane@zope.com
Thu, 08 May 2003 15:15:12 -0400

sean.upton@uniontrib.com wrote:
> More in response to Shane than to Max M: I thought that one of the
> continuing justification for ObjectHubs was that hubids were consistent
> across multiple mounted storages, but oids were not?  How could the
> universal id problem be addressed at a lower level than Zope2 or Zope3 in
> this case?

When relationships are applied to Zope, they will always use hub IDs.
Outside Zope, mounting and traversal don't always apply.

> Then it starts to get amusing. One of the primary reasons for the
> objecthub was to enable relations. So if the relations get implemented
> in in ZODB but need some functionality, will it not end up as a
> duplication of efforts?

Don't assume there is actually any separate effort going on.  The point
of all of this talk is to discover in what ways the proposed
relationship management is insufficient.  Once understood, the ideas can
come together.

Shane