[Zope-dev] Re: catalogObject changes (Zope-2_6-branch)

Yuppie schubbe at web.de
Tue Oct 7 07:13:08 EDT 2003

Hi!

Chris McDonough wrote:
> Option 1:
>  Add an update_metadata flag to the catalogObject method with a default
>  of True on all branches.
>
> Option 2:
>  Do nothing, but add the "updateMetadata" method to the ZCatalog
>  interface.
>
> Option 1 would only take effect when 2.6.3 was released (if ever) and
> 2.7 final would have the new flag.  Because since the behavior change
> has already been released in 2.6.2, it might be better to do option 2
> and fix the places in CMF/SilvaMetadata that specify indexes, leaving it
> the way it is.

I agree backwards compatibilty is broken anyway. Whatever the solution
is, products using the idxs argument for metadata changes have to be
changed to work with 2.6.2.

Regarding migration, I agree option 2 would be better.

Regarding the interface, I still prefer option 1 or even option 1 *and*
2. The fact that

   zcat.catalog_object(obj)

does update metadata while

   zcat.catalog_object(obj, idxs=zcat.indexes())

doesn't, isn't intuitive at all. At least this difference has to be
mentioned in the interface definition.

Just my 2 cents. I can live with both options.

Cheers,
	Yuppie