[Zope-dev] Zope doesn't know enough mime types.

Romain Slootmaekers romain at zzict.com
Fri Oct 24 09:48:28 EDT 2003

Clemens Robbenhaar wrote:

> Hi Romain,
>
>  > Yo,
>  >
>  > Zope doesn't know enough mime types, and there's no easy way to add them
>  > add runtime since you removed the add_type(...) method from mimetypes.py
>
>  Who is "you" which has removed the function? I guess mimetypes
> is a core python module ...

you = zope development team

mimtypes IS a core python module, but zope feels compelled to deliver us
a modified version with less functionality (and probably has good
reasons to do so).

But why the modified mimetypes file has to contain about 40 less
mime-types than the corresponding file in a python installation from
python.org is a mistery to me.

> Anyway if You feel the need to add content types to the global
> mimetypes map, You can do this manually in Your custom product
> __init__.py, e.g.:
>
> from mimetypes import types_map
> types_map['.ra'] = 'audio/x-pn-realaudio'
> # etcetcetc
>

> I guess this is not worse than letting Zope to the patches.

(Monkey)patching zope(s) to workaround (bugs | missing features) is
indeed sometimes needed but if the fix is as simple as adding some
name-value pairs I see no reason why not to do this before the next release.

Romain.