[Zope-dev] PythonLibraries Product

Dan L. Pierson dan at control.com
Thu Sep 11 11:47:31 EDT 2003

--On Thursday, September 11, 2003 10:08:23 -0400 "Fred L. Drake, Jr."
<fred at zope.com> wrote:

> Tres Seaver writes:
>  > Actually, the restricted case is the one which has the real win;  the
>  > "free-floating" library is pretty, but not semanticaally needed.  An
>  > added argument:  a ZPT with its own private library becomes, in effect,
>  > a Zope3 view component;  adopting such beasts will ease migration to
>  > Zope3.
>
> And it keeps all the pieces easy to locate!  +1

+1

> There are a few ways to approach serialization of a view that contains
> both a template and Python code:
>
> - Serialize it as a directory containing two files.

IMHO, this is the obvious and probably best choice.  It's well in line with
a sentiment
in the the Linux file system world that the way to handle multi-piece files
is to treat them
as directories rather than introduce another layer of special mechanisms.
The file sytem
itself can them optimize their storage as part of a general small file
optimization strategy.
I don't think the objection to having to pack a ZPT and it's script(s) in a
separate ZODB
folder applies anywhere near as well to file system storage.

Dan Pierson