[Zope-dev] Etag support in page templates

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Tue Sep 16 09:45:38 EDT 2003

Jamie Heilman wrote:
> Tres Seaver wrote:
>
>>The empty E-tag exists to support *very* broken clients (MSOffice over
>>WebFolders);  it should be removed, perhaps with a knob which allows
>>re-enabling it for the sites that actually have people editing content
>>using those clients.
>

> Yeah it should be removed, but I'd say don't provide any way to add it
> back (apart from maybe some textual instructions in the doc directory
> or something).  The thing that continues to baffle me is why people add
> braindamage like this to Zope at all.

Some controversial checkins have not been discussed beforehand.  I watch
the checkins, and I see things that I don't like, but I don't pipe up
unless I consider the checkin dangerous.  I usually give people the
benefit of the doubt.

In the case of empty Etags, I think that sending an empty header has
been shown to be the wrong choice.  I suggest it should be removed from
the head and the 2_7 branch.

For future reference to any committers: if you modify any HTTP headers
sent by Zope, you very likely ought to discuss it before checking it in.

Shane