[Zope-dev] Re: Proposal: Sanitize HelpSys & API Reference, was Re: Reasons for the current API reference docs implementation?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Mon Apr 5 11:00:59 EDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 09:44:30AM -0400, Casey Duncan wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 17:50:13 -0400
> Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote:
>
> > I've posted my proposal:
> > http://dev.zope.org/Wikis/DevSite/Proposals/SanitizeHelpSysAndAPIReference
>
> I am 100% for this proposal and I have been thinking on and off about
> the same thing for years. I agree that we need to create interfaces
> everywhere. With that I propose the following to prevent future help
> skew:
>
> - That all interfaces in the system be verified in unittests.

Pardon my ignorance, but what tests can you write for an interface?

> - We eliminate the duplicate interfaces currently used by the help
> system (Some of these are actually fairly up-to-date, so we should look
> at them first).

Yep. This was already in my proposal.

> - If we create examples that they be runnable doctests, which are
> executed by test.py
>
> The latter may mean we need a better integration test framework, I don't
> know. I think we'd need to try out a few and see. I can certainly help
> here.

That would be much appreciated. I don't have a clue how to get
the preconditions set up for doctests.

> IMO this is a task ripe for a "divide and conquer" strategy. Maybe we
> should have a "Help Day" to kick this off?

good idea! But maybe we should let the proposal simmer at least
a few more days?

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com