[Zope-dev] Reasons for the current API reference docs implementation?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Mon Apr 5 11:38:26 EDT 2004

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 06:52:07AM -0400, Stephan Richter wrote:
> On Monday 05 April 2004 03:49, Dieter Maurer wrote:
> > Chris McDonough wrote at 2004-4-4 13:56 -0400:
> > >I think the "real" answer
> > >would be to go and create interfaces for all API classes and turn that
> > >into an API reference
> >
> > *BEWARE* however, that interfaces lack information *VITAL* for
> > an API reference: the constructor description!
>
> It is totally legal to add the constructor to the interface. We do this in
> Zope 3 at some places too, like for adapters and views.

Class constructors, sure.
I'm not sure if that's what Dieter meant, but in any case,
there is another thing we need documented for zope 2:
product constructors. These are factory functions, e.g.:

def manage_addPythonScript(self, id, REQUEST=None, submit=None):
    """Add a Python script to a folder.
    """

Do the zope 3 doc tools provide support for such functions?
I didn't spot any in a quick bit of browsing, but I certainly
didn't read the whole reference.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com