[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: Zope and zope

Fred Drake fred at zope.com
Tue Apr 13 23:27:34 EDT 2004

Jim Fulton noted:
 > Of course, having two packages with names differing only in case is a
 > bit ugly.
 >
 > Do we want to consider renaming one or both of these packages
 > to avoid the conflict?

A bit ugly, but I can live with it.

On Tuesday 13 April 2004 10:44 pm, Stephan Richter wrote:
 > You wanna rename 'zope' to 'z3' for the purpose of merging the two? I
 > really hope that will not be the case. Or is this for Zope 2 only?
 >
 > I would hate to have imports like "z3.app.foo" or even "z3.i18n". I am
 > definitely -1 on this option, if it also applies to standalone Zope 3.

Tres has a good objection, *if* we actually expect 3rd-party Zope 2 code to
work in Zope 3.  (I don't know if we have this requirement or not; I've no
personal interest in doing so.)

If we don't expect 3rd-party Zope 2 code to work in Zope 3, then the second
entry on sys.path seems good enough; having a collection of code identified
by two different names is unworkable.  (Think absolute imports here.)

Any requirement that states 3rd-party Zope 2 code work in Zope 3 will have to
be worked out; that's the key here.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>