[Zope-dev] Re: Zope and zope

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Apr 14 10:19:02 EDT 2004

Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
>> The first question is:
>>
>> Is it a problem to have two packages with names differing only in case?
>

> I don't see a problem at all; IIRC, we agreed that the backports from
> Zope3 would live in a 'src' directory, while Zope 2 stuff continues to
> live in 'lib/python'. No case problem therefore, since they would be in
> different directories.

As I mentioned in my note, Python allows us to have two packages whos names
differ only by case.  I also noted that this requires adding an additional
directory to the path. This isn't a big deal.  I think it's an annoyance.

>> I haven't gotten as many responses on this as I expected.  I'll try to
>> summarize
>> so far:
>>
>> - Chris feels strongly that this is a problem
>>
>> - I've been swayed by Chris' response from neutral to thinking that this
>>   is a problem.
>>
>> - Tres seems not to think this is a problem, but I'm not sure.
>>
>> - Fred doesn't seem to think this is a problem.
>>
>> - I can't tell from Robert's and Stephans responses whether they think
>> this
>>   is a problem or not.
>>
>> Perhaps we can get more input on whether there's a problem.
>>
>> A response with a positive sign (e.g. +1, +0, +2, ...) indicates
>> agreement that this is a probelm. :)
>

> -2

Wow. That's a strong opinion that there's no problem :)

especially since:

> I can see why it might be embarrassing having to document two package
> names that only differ by case. For newbies, it might even be confusing

This sounds like an argument for there being a problem.

I guess your large negative vote is a vote against the alternatives...
fair enough.

Jim