[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: Zope and zope

Shane Hathaway shane at zope.com
Wed Apr 14 20:10:08 EDT 2004

On 04/14/04 12:27, yuppie wrote:
> Jim Fulton wrote:
>> But I think that this is a big problem. Backward compatibility for Z2
>> *is*
>> important.  It's too bad that lots of test files have to import Zope.
>> Sigh.
>

> Why is that a *big* problem?
>
> - It's not nice to break tests, but that doesn't necessarily mean the
> products are broken.
>
> - AFAICT many products need some polishing and a new release for Zope
> 2.8 anyway.

I'm with Yuppie.  With fundamental changes occurring in ExtensionClass
and ZODB, lots of products are going to need a small revision anyway.
For example, we've already started changing "from ZODB import
Persistent" to "from Persistence import Persistent" everywhere.  The
majority of products that need to import Zope will just change from:

   from Zope import app

to:

   try:
     from zope2 import app
   except ImportError:
     # Pre-Zope 2.8
     from Zope import app

I think it's cool that Python makes that so easy to do.

Shane