[Zope3-dev] Re: [Zope-dev] Re: More arguments for "z" (was Re: Zope and zope)

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Thu Apr 15 09:25:51 EDT 2004

Sidnei da Silva wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 15, 2004 at 08:59:44AM -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
> | >So, what about this:
> | >
> | >zope.component
> | >zope.interfaces (?)
> | >zope.configuration
> | >zope.testing
> | >zope.schema (soon-to-be-dead?)
> | >
> | >- All move to 'ca.*'
> |
> | Most of this has nothing to do with the component architecture.
> |
> | "ca" has nothing to do with zope.
>
> So that's the intention. If it has nothing to do with zope, why it
> should be prefixed with 'zope'?

 From the zope package README.txt:

   "Zope Project Packages

   The zope package is a pure namespace package holding packages developed as
   part of the Zope 3 project.

   Generally, the immediate subpackages of the zope package should be
   useful and usable outside of the Zope application server.  Subpackages
   of the zope package should have minimal interdependencies, although
   most depend on zope.interfaces.

   The one subpackage that's not usable outside the application server is
   the app subpackage, zope.app, which *is* the application
   server. Sub-packages of zope.app are not usable outside of the application
   server. If there's something in zope.app you want to use elsewhere, let us
   know and we can talk about abstracting some of it up out of zope.app."

> I may have been unlucky on trying to enumerate the packages. I was
> trying to figure out what kind of stuff would be useful in the context
> of zope2.

Potentially, all of them.

 > Maybe you can enumerate what packages are part of the
> component architecture,

zope.component

> and what packages would be used in zope2?

All of them, eventually probably including zope.app.

> I have a feeling that most stuff in zope.app would not be used in zope2,
> but I'm mostly surely wrong.

I think you are probably wrong.

But we don't know for sure yet.

> | >zope.app.*
> | >
> | >- Move down to 'zope'.
> |
> | This doesn't solve name-conflict the problem. Or maybe I don't understand
> | what you
> | are proposing.
>
> See above.

I still don't see how having a different package named "zope" addresses the
name conflict with "Zope".

Jim