[Zope-dev] Re: zLOG changes

Fred Drake fred at zope.com
Tue Apr 20 17:19:06 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 20 April 2004 01:22 pm, Andreas Jung wrote:
 > - the entries in the event.log are currently written without the log
 > level. Is this dedicated
 >    behaviour? I think the log level should be part of the event.log

It should.  This was lost when I changed the zLOG --> logging mapping, and was
unintentional.  I've changed the default logging formats for each handler
type to do what seems to be the right thing.  The specific formats can be
controlled via the "format" setting in the relevant log handler sections in
zope.conf.

 > - when adding
 >     LOG = getLogger(...)
 >     LOG.info(...)
 >   to some modules then the output is only written to the event.log but no
 > longer to stdout
 >    (if running in debug mode). Is this change intentional?

I'm not sure what the right approach to fixing this is.  There are a couple of
choices:

- In debug mode, add a new handler that dumps to standard output.  This is
  fairly easy to code, but is inflexible.

- In debug mode, use an alternate or auxillary logging configuration to
  replace or augment the <eventlog> configuration section.  This is more work
  up front, but keeps everything flexible.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.  <fred at zope.com>
PythonLabs at Zope Corporation