[Zope-dev] Re: The bleak Future of Zope?!

Philipp von Weitershausen philipp at weitershausen.de
Wed Apr 21 08:22:06 EDT 2004

Martin, Maik, Andreas, and others,

I see two issues being raised in this thread:

1. Maik disagrees with the design philosophy behind Zope3 (the Component
Architecture) and the place Zope3 wants to position itself at in the
future. As a Zope developer who has spent the last two years both
developing *with* Zope2 and developing Zope3 itself, I obviously have a
different point of view about the technical part. Whether Zope3 will be
success in its market niche is yet to be determined. If you fight, you
can win the war; if you give up now, you've already lost the war.

Since this is more a philosophical issue, or even a matter of taste, I
am not going to argue too much about it. I find the component
architecture superior to anything we have seen before and we will soon
have proofs that it is capable of industrial strength applications. Most
other developers who are involved into development with or of CMF (such
as the leading Plone developers) seem to share that point of view; in
fact, we all can't hardly wait for Zope3 to hit stable.

2. Especially Andreas expressed his worries about the current release
policy in Zope 2 and its future regarding maintainance and support. I
have to say that I share some of his skepticism regarding Zope 2. I
personally have never fully understood ZC's reasons for the release
roadmap as it is. I might not see the big picture, but I know I would
have done it differently. I've always tried to make that clear in the
past. Coming up with harsh criticism now is not very fair, I think,
especially when you're as in involved as Maik or Andreas.

Zope 2 development has opened for the community a lot in the past. While
people were to extend Zope2 with more or less useful features (seemed to
me that it was more than fixing bugs), all the administrative stuff got
stuck with ZC. Did anyone from the community ever volunteer helping with
the releases or the CVS administration?
In this matter, btw, the future painted in Zope3 is brighter: more
community involvement, more innovations coming from the community and
more administrative tasks taken up by volunteers. Not that I'm not
suggesting that more help is needed...

Philipp