[Zope-dev] Re: The bleak Future of Zope?

Max M maxm at mxm.dk
Wed Apr 21 10:40:46 EDT 2004

Stephan Richter wrote:

> Concerning the release schedule, ZC has little to do with that for Zope 3. In
> fact, I have been release manager since this summer and I am responsible for
> the release schedule and packages. However, I decided not to release often,
> since again we do not have bandwidth to support the milestones. Since the CVS
> is as stable as any milestone release (we have tests for everything),
> releases are less important and it is much easier and less time consuming to
> support the current HEAD, which you can just download via the Web.

My only problem is that it is difficult to be an "occasional" developer
in Z3 on Windows.

I normally don't develop in c. So I don't have Visual Studion installed.

I have downloaded the milestones and tried them out. But then I read
about this and that *geddon, and think "well guess I should wait for
another version" before I try it again.

I quickly feel out of sync in Z3.

If there was some way to have a Binary core that didn't change very
often, and a Python only part that I could upload from cvs/subversion to
be up to date, it would be much easier to use a few hours here and there
to try out stuff in Z3.

Or perhaps an automated nightly Windows build.

I believe that Chris Withers is testing Z3 nightly on Windows. Right?

Would it be difficult to have that available as a download somewhere? It
seems that zipping and uploading the test directory is enough.

Being able to grab the builds seems more important than the releases.

> However,
> we are getting the first alpha out by the end of the month. Hopefully, by end
> of May we will have finished the X3.0 to-do list and will release the beta.
> At this point the API will freeze and application developers are encouraged
> to have look at it.

Great.

regards Max M