[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] Re: Proposal: Rename zope package

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Apr 21 12:26:25 EDT 2004

Troy Farrell wrote:

> Philipp von Weitershausen wrote:
> |> Troy Farrell wrote:
> |>
> |> -1 on alternative 4.  This lurker is with Tres.  This is a Z3
> |> challenge.  I wonder how many part-time Zope 2 admins will be happy
> |> about making this change and having to retest code they've inherited
> |> from some contract developer.
> |
> | Why would they switch to Zope 2.8 if not for the component architecture?
> | So, if you just "inherited" some code for maintainance, this will
> | unlikely break your program. In fact, it won't even break your program
> | when the rename is effective, since we'll keep a facade Zope package
> | around.
>
> Philipp, not everyone follows well-planned, ideal upgrade practices.

There's only so much we can do for people who don't.

> Often,
> upgrades come when they can be had, and even more frequently when there
> is a
> security hole and the fix is only available for the latest version or
> two.  I'm
> remembering this:
>
> http://securityfocus.com/bid/9400/
>
> This was the occasion for my upgrade to 2.7, which proved to be a learning
> experience.  Fortunately, I used a test instance for my upgrade :)

I think your main point is people who skip updates.  Perhaps,
I should have suggested keeping the legacy Zope package longer?

> Deprecation errors are nice, but usually admins take one of two

Warning, not errors

> approaches to
> them, neither of which is ideal:
> 1) Ignore them since everything seems to work alright
> 2) See the apocalypse horsemen headed their direction - this results in
> "URGENT!!! HELP ME PLAESE RIGHT NOW" email on the zope at zope.org list.
>
> This will cause many a shock when the occasion for upgrade to 2.9 comes
> around.
> ~ At 2 A.M.

Would you feel better if we kept the legacy support available longer?

The deprecation warnings are a way for people to find out when somethings
coming.

Jim