[Zope-dev] Re: [Archetypes-devel] Unicode in Zope 2 (ZMI, Archetypes, Plone, Formulator)

Andreas Jung andreas at andreas-jung.com
Mon Apr 26 05:03:37 EDT 2004

--On Montag, 26. April 2004 10:53 Uhr +0200 David Convent
<david.convent at naturalsciences.be> wrote:

> Hi Bjorn,
>
> I always believed that unicode and utf-8 were same encoding, but reading
> you let me think i was wrong.
> Can you tell me what the difference is between unicode and utf-8 ?

Unicode is common database for almost all characters. UTF-8 is an *encoding*
that allows you to represent any element of this character database as set
for 1,2,3 or 4 bytes. There are also other encoding e.g. like UTF16 that
encode
an element in a different way....so we are talking about completely
different things.

-aj