[Zope-dev] RE: [Zope3-dev] RE: [ZODB-Dev] Subversion repository layout

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Tue Apr 27 10:37:07 EDT 2004

[Kapil Thangavelu]

[snip debating over what the book says]

> sigh.. debating over what the book says isn't very productive.

That's for sure <wink>.

> my conclusions at the end of my previous email, namely that what this
> layout will accomplish for the zopeorg repository in terms of avoiding
> renames of checkouts will likely be fairly limited in pratice, still
> win me out against deviating from the standard layouts.

I think your points about stitching stuff together are crucial, since a lot
of that indeed occurs in the Zope world.  You have svn experience too, while
I don't, so I'm happy to yield to that.

The other crucial thing is that we document clearly what we're doing.  I
said before that newcomers to svn won't understand the alternative
structures, and I still believe that.  By sheer coincidence, someone on
comp.lang.python today posted this:

"""
I'm experimenting with svn.  What is the best way to set up the
original project, anticipating "importing" to a truck-and-branch
world?

When I start I have:
  myproject/
    doc/
    mypackage/
      stable.py
      changing.py
    test/
      go_test

To do branches, I think I'm supposed to get to end up with:

myproject/
  trunk/
    doc/
    mypackage/
      stable.py
    test/
      go_test
  branches/
    branch1/
      mypackage/
        changing.py
      test/
        go_test

"""

If that demonstrates a lack of understanding of how svn truly works, what
that really demonstrates is that *of course* newcomers to svn don't
understand how it truly works, and I think it's hard to come away from a
first pass over the svn book without believing this specific directory
structure is more magical than it really is.

monkey-see-monkey-do-is-a-tough-default-to-overcome-ly y'rs  - tim