[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope3-dev] ATTENTION! cvs to subversion transitiontomorrow

Tim Peters tim at zope.com
Tue Apr 27 22:58:14 EDT 2004

[Jim Fulton]
> You will be able to do read-only anonymous checkouts like so:
>
>    svn co svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/<project>/trunk
>
> For example:
>
>    svn co svn://svn.zope.org/repos/main/ZConfig/trunk

FYI, I tried that on Windows (XP), and it worked fine.

One glitch, which may be all over the place:  some of the "text files" got
checked out with Windows line ends, but most did not.  For example, 14 of
the 19 *.txt files in ZConfig ended up with Windows line ends, but none of
the 37 *.py files did.

Ack, no, none of the checked-out .txt files did either.  The .txt files that
had Windows line ends were all created by svn for its own purposes
(README.txt files in .svn directories).

I'm not sure what to do about this.  Best I can tell from the docs so far,
svn wants a

    svn:eol-style

property added to every line-oriented file, with value

    native

in order to get platform-sane line-end conversions.  The doc's explanation
of the effect of that matches my understanding of what CVS does for all
non-binary files, which is usually exactly right.

I noticed that Fredrik Lundh complained about something similar here:

    http://effbot.org/zone/subversion.htm
    Properties are nice, but having to use three different commands
    to check in a text file from Windows is pretty annoying.

Looks like svn *expected* us to do this by setting enable-auto-props during
the intial imports, with a bunch of [auto-props] settings in a config file;
like

"""
[auto-props]
*.c = svn:eol-style=native
*.cpp = svn:eol-style=native
*.h = svn:eol-style=native
*.py = svn:eol-style=native
*.dsp = svn:eol-style=CRLF
*.dsw = svn:eol-style=CRLF
*.sh = svn:eol-style=native;svn:executable
*.txt = svn:eol-style=native
*.png = svn:mime-type=image/png
*.jpg = svn:mime-type=image/jpeg
"""

I think we'll have to develop a standard set of config file settings like
that for committers to add to their personal svn configs -- or can that be
done on the server side?

> To do a writable checkout (if you are a contributor who
> has submitted a version 1.1 contributor's agreement), you will
> use svn+ssh:
>
>    svn co svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/<project>/trunk

Is that supposed work already?  All I've been able to get out of it is,
e.g.,

    C:\Code>svn co svn+ssh://svn.zope.org/repos/main/ZConfig/trunk szc2
    svn: Connection closed unexpectedly

where the error msg appears very quickly (usually well under a second).